Beta Phi Mu is pleased to offer a Professional Membership option. Professional Membership has all same the privileges of Regular Membership, including: chapter membership, attending all membership meetings of the Society; speaking at meetings and on motions; proposing motions; voting; holding office; and presiding.
- Not already a member of Beta Phi Mu
- Hold a graduate degree in library and information science (LIS) from a college or university that offers an American Library Association accredited or other recognized degree program (see eligible programs for regular membership, above)
- Graduated with a minimum GPA of 3.75 on a 4.0 scale from that program
- Work as an information or library professional and/or LIS faculty member
- Made a distinctive contribution to the profession (see examples below)
Complete the online Professional Membership application, including the following materials:
- An official or unofficial transcript noting a minimum GPA of 3.75 out of a 4.0 scale at time of graduation from a graduate LIS program
- A current resume or CV, including information about LIS-related positions held, LIS professional association memberships and involvement, and any awards/recognitions
- Statement noting distinctive contribution to the information/library profession (no more than 1,000 words) and addressing your commitment and outstanding contributions to Beta Phi Mu values of scholarship, leadership, and service
- Contact information for two individuals willing to provide recommendations noting your professional accomplishments, as well as addressing your commitment and outstanding contributions to Beta Phi Mu values of scholarship, leadership and/or service
- Article published in a ranked library journal
- Developed a groundbreaking service or program at your library
- Service or teaching awards
- Leadership positions in professional associations
- Record of presentations at state or national level
- Published a book on information/library related topic
- Served as Associate Dean/Director or Dean/Director at a library for 3+ years
- Other relevant distinctive contributions
Annual Fee: To maintain active professional member status, persons elected to professional membership must pay a US$35 national annual fee. This annual fee will be based on the rolling year (i.e., a year from when an individual first joined).
Persons elected to professional membership and maintain active status shall have all the privileges of chapter and at-large membership, including attending all members meetings of the Society; speaking at meetings and on motions; proposing motions; voting; holding office; presiding; and all discounts/scholarships.