Beta Phi Mu Membership Benefits
- Recognition as a Library and Information Science graduate of outstanding academic achievement, acknowledged by your faculty as having leadership potential and the potential to contribute significantly to the profession.
- Opportunities to realize that leadership potential at the chapter and national level, as well as fulfill the service aspect of the society.You can become involved with the society either by volunteering for one of the numerous committees, or by running for office at the chapter or national level. More information about national committees can be found here: http://www.betaphimu.org/volunteer.html. Additional information about serving as a board member or officer can be found in our by-laws: http://www.betaphimu.org/bpm-by-laws.html. Consult your local chapter’s website or other materials for opportunities available there.
- Publishing opportunities, while not exclusive to our members, exist within the society. Our latest publishing initiative, the Scholars Series, publishes scholarly books that make a contribution to our profession. Here is the link for more information: http://www.betaphimu.org/scholars-series.html.
- Discounts on Scholars Series book purchases. As a member of Beta Phi Mu, you are entitled to a 20% discount on titles published in the Scholars Series. More information can be found here: http://www.betaphimu.org/scholars-series-titles.html.
- Continuing Education Discount. Receive a 20% discount on all Library Juice Academy continuing education courses. Contact Beta Phi Mu Headquarters for the discount code, and choose from dozens of courses on everything from coding to cataloging, from storytime to instruction. See the Library Juice Academy website for additional information and course offerings: http://libraryjuiceacademy.com/index.php.
- The Pipeline. Our online newsletter contains a wealth of information and will help you stay connected with our society. It is published on our website (http://www.betaphimu.org/newsletter.html) in the fall and spring.
- Scholarships. Beta Phi Mu offers two scholarships for beginning LIS students (Reed and Woolls) to encourage promising students to enter our profession. Beta Phi Mu members may be eligible for other scholarships and awards: the Harold Lancour Foreign Research Fellowship, for a librarian conducting research outside of Canada/USA, and the Eugene Garfield Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships, for doctoral students who are working on their dissertations in LIS and related fields. The Frank B. Sessa Scholarship for Continuing Education, which is exclusively for Beta Phi Mu members, annually provides ten scholarships of $150 each. See the Scholarships page of the Beta Phi Mu website for more information: http://www.betaphimu.org/scholarships.html.
- Social Media. Join Beta Phi Mu on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and connect with us on LinkedIn to interact with your peers and keep up with what’s going on in the honor society and the profession. You will find convenient links to our presence on all of these social media venues via icons at the bottom of all pages on our website.
- Beta Phi Mu Merchandise. Official Beta Phi Mu lapel pins, honor cords, and leather bookmarks may be ordered directly though our website (http://www.betaphimu.org/merchandise.html). Follow the ordering instructions on the page. Additionally, official Beta Phi Mu jewelry may be ordered from Award Concepts: https://www.awardconcepts.net/greek/ > Find Your Organization > Beta Phi Mu Online Store.
Please also see the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS) page on the benefits of joining a legitimate honor society -- "About Certified Honor Societies." Beta Phi Mu has been a recognized member of the ACHS since 1969.